Tuesday, February 12, 2008

8 years ago today...

...Mikayla joined our family!
It was 3 days past her due date, and our doctor (who was also a friend of ours) decided to induce. We'd been at the hospital since that morning, and at 1:30 I didn't feel like I was in any pain, but was all shaky and emotional, so they went ahead and gave me an epidural. The hospital there gave a one-time dose instead of a continual drip, and the anesthetist had to come back to give more if it ran out. And mine always ran out exactly 2 hours later. Well, the dr (Herb) came and checked on me around 3:15, said I was dilated to a 4. Mike asked him if he thought he had time to take Jessica to a different babysitter (the first one had to go to class) and feed the dog, and Herb said, "Oh, yeah, you should have plenty of time." Ha. The minute Mike and Herb walked out the door, I started hurting. I told the nurse I needed more epidural, and she picked up the phone to call it in, then decided she better check things first...she told me it was time to push!!! I was on the verge of tears, saying, "I can't, Mike's not here," but she said I had to. I got my Mom to stay with me, and they found Herb. He walked in rolling up his sleeves saying, "Mike's gonna kill me." I started pushing, and 10 minutes later, when little Miss Mikayla was almost all the way here, Mike walked in. He looked at me and Mom and said, "What are you doing?!" I glared at him and said, "I'm having a baby!" He ran over saying, "Push, push" but Herb calmly said, "No, just breathe for a second..." 5 minutes later, at 4:08, she was born! Mikayla Mae, blond hair, blue eyes, quiet (that didn't last long) and absolutely beautiful. Today she keeps us quite entertained--more on that when she's not looking over my shoulder waiting for her turn on the computer! Happy Birthday, Mikayla! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that day. We BSM folk were pretty excited too! Happy Birthday Mikayla.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

John always tells me I'm stronger than I think I am. I think you are too! And I am SO glad Mike made it!

Happy Birthday Mikayla!