In honor of Mother's Day yesterday, here are 10 sayings I've heard my Mom say my whole life:
1. Thank your father. After every shopping trip, when I thanked her for the new clothes, she's tell me to thank my father, since he was the one working to provide us with all our needs. As I grew, I realized there was another Father I needed to remember to thank.
2. Put your lipstick on. Until I got married Mom told me this all the time. She thought I should have lipstick on every time I left the house, because "you never know who you might meet."
3. This room looks like the wreck of the Hesperus. Whatever the Hesperus was, she was probably right. My house looks like the wreck of the Hesperus right now.
4. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. That kind of sums up all the friend-making advice she gave in all our moves, such as "sit in the middle of a row so you meet someone on both sides;" "whatever questions someone asks you, ask them;" and of course, "to have a friend, you must be one."
5. Let those words roll off of you like water off a duck's back. When someone was being mean to me, she taught me how to keep it from hurting too bad.
6. Home is wherever we are together. It might be a house, a duplex, a campsite, or a car; as long as we're together, that's home.
7. You can always come home. I always knew I'd be loved no matter what I did.
8. It's better to be overdressed than underdressed/first impressions do matter. I thought those two kind of went together.
9. If you don't stop (insert bad behavior)
...I'm gonna snatch you bald-headed.
...you'll be picking yourself up off the floor/peeling yourself off the wall.
...you'll wake up in the middle of next week.
and the last one is a song, not a saying, but I've heard it so much from my Mom:
10. Cheer up ye saints of God, there's nothing to worry about!
Nothing to make you feel afraid, nothing to make you doubt!
Remember Jesus never fails, so why not trust Him and shout-
You'll be sorry you worried at all tomorrow morning!
If you'd like to list your 10 on the Tenth, go to Meredith's blog here and join the fun.
9 comments:
Loved this. It's funny when you find yourself saying those things yourself!!
Your Mom sounds like a very wise lady. Fun post!
very good things to remember. :)
What a great post....Love your header....Perfect and so eye catching...
I LOVE your Mama!!!! And I love you. Great list.
I'm living in the wreck of Hesperus myself right now!
Your mom has some great sayings. In fact, I may have to borrow one or two of those that I'm not already using!
I love this, Kecia! Do you find yourself saying these things to your kids?
Meredith, I proudly say as many as I can as often as I can! And I thought of another one: He/she's like a dog with a bone.
The wreck of the Hesperus?!?! I'm still laughing from that one!
Post a Comment