It had been a long wait, but she was worth it! 5 years after we got married, 3 years after stopping bcp, 8 days after her due date, 2 days after they tried to induce labor, 10 hours after arriving at the hospital--there she was, all tiny and perfect and pink. (And a little blue, but that went away.)

She is my sensitive, intuitive child. Before she could talk, (was there really a time when she didn't talk?!!) we would be out on our deck and she would look up in this one tall tree and smile and wave and babble something...I used to wonder if she saw an angel. Corny, I know. But what if?
She was not even 2 when we got the news of the Wedgwood shooting, and when she saw me crying she climbed up in my lap and cuddled with me.
For years after my Dad died, there was one praise chorus that always made me tear up, but I never said anything about it. One Sunday after we sang that song she looked up at me and said, "That song always makes me think of Grandad." Last year (4 years ago now) a friend of hers in Conway lost his dad, and when she saw him last weekend she said, "Mommy, ever since Mr. James died, Mrs. Marnie and Fraser and Pearl don't look as brightly colored as they used to." I wondered if that was her way of seeing their grief?
Although she's never been as mischievous as Mikayla, I do have some favorite stories. Like when she was 3, and Mike said, "I need to pick up so-and-so for church," and she said, "But she's too heavy!" Or when he asked if she wanted to go on a date to McDonald's with him and she said, "Oh my goodness, YES!" And when we were on our way to Baskin Robbins when she was 4, and she said, "After I eat ice cream can I play outside? And run around in circles, and lay on the grass and watch the sunset, and sleep on the grass?" And when she was potty training, and she tinkled and I said, "Yay, did I hear you go potty?" and she said, "No, just gas." HA!
She also has added to our family vocabulary. In my family, if someone pronounces something cute when they're little, it sticks and we all start using it. Her contributions are: excuse me = miki, ponytail holders = ponynails, hamburger = hammigigger, side by side = two-by-two-by, Barbie = Arbie, eyelashes = ashlyes, octopus = octopudis, and peppermints = peppernuts.
I don't know how she went from that tiny baby to this beautiful young lady so quickly. Happy Birthday, sweet Jessica!







2 comments:
What a wonderful, beautiful, TALL, sweet, godly girl. I still can't believe you have a daughter with straight hair. :-) She is lovely and I hope her birthday was wonderful. So glad we are FB friends now!!! Happy Birthday to Jessica. The Lechners love you!!
P.S. the word verification is "skilit" that's what people in Arkansas fry their bacon in, right?
Hooray for Jessica! (We still say Ponynail around here too.) And when something goes missing, Matt says, "Maybe it's with my hat..."
Post a Comment