Friday, June 10, 2011

May Re-cap Part 4

4. Mission trip to Slovenia!
It's hard to even know where to begin! I had such an amazing time. I was super nervous about being the team leader on an international trip with 4 college girls. But God gave me grace and strength and smooth (mostly) travel and team unity and a great missionary family to work with. He is so much better to me than I deserve!




Lauren took this picture of me sleeping, and the flash made me make this face as I woke up. Lovely.
This is Lauren.


What comes around, goes around!
The Alps from the airplane--they were massive.

See? My "delicious meal." It says so on the box!

After traveling for about 18 hours total, we landed in Venice and were picked up at the airport by IMB missionary J.P. Manley, who drove us from there to Piran, Slovenia, on the coast of the Adriatic Sea. We bought sandwiches from a gas station for lunch, then walked through town and found a place to eat, put our feet in the sea, and had our orientation/devotion time there. Followed by the first of many ice cream cones/gelatto/slado led. So good!
We drove through many actual, long tunnels, but I loved these trees that made their own tunnel on our way into Piran.

When we stopped at the gas station to buy sandwiches, we took pictures of this view of Piran. The colorful boxes in the foreground are bee hives, something Slovenia is known for.





I was fascinated by the architecture.


That's an old Roman fort on top of the hill!

Can you see the sun dial on the red building? I loved it.

12th century church

Clear waters of the Adriatic Sea!



Wildlife!

I made this little guy, based on the ones we saw in Canada 8 years ago.


J.P, Ashley, me, and Amy...mine was cookies and cream, I think. Or maybe cappucino...I had both...


From there he took us to our hotel in Ljubljana, where we checked in, went around the corner for some pasta, and then were happy to fall into our beds and crash.
Entering the alley that leads to Hotel Emonec
Looking back out the alley

The yellow building on the left is where our room was.


This tells what "Emonec" means--Ljubljana began as a Roman city called Emona. You can click on it to make it bigger if you want to read it.
The inside of our room (which was really 2 connected rooms and the bathroom shown below.)
Yes, when we took a shower the whole bathroom got wet.
Our breakfast choices the next morning (every morning): cereal, cheese, lunch meat, mayo, Nutella, yogurt, bread, jelly, butter, juice, and...a cappucino machine!

2 comments:

Choate Family said...

I am SOOOO glad you got to go on this trip!

Shellie Paparazzo said...

Thank God for Cappacinos! That's all I have to say, but it looks absolutely beautiful! I think I might like Slovenia! Never knew anything about it before!