Friday, October 5, 2007

Confessions of a TV Junkie

So I'm sitting here on the computer while my 2 younger daughters watch "High School Musical 2," and Rebecca keeps saying, "Mama, watch this! Lookie, Mama, look, look at Troy, look at Troy's hair. Look close...see?" as if I haven't seen it at least once a week since the premiere. Ever since that fateful night (our first night in our new home and we had no microwave popcorn) I've been wanting to say **SPOILER ALERT: if you live in Africa or the mountains and haven't seen HSM2 yet, watch this precious video then skip all the purple words**



how disappointed I was in this sequel. It's still clean and sweet and all, but the dancing looks like it's done in front of a blue screen, and the voices sound synthesized to me. I love the first one, sing all the songs with my girls, but the second one--eh. It's okay. I do like Ryan turning out nice. I always knew he had it in him.
Next *SPOILER*: Survivor China.
I know Survivor isn't really "cool" anymore, but Mike and I are still addicted. (Along with Dancing with the Stars, NCIS, The Unit, Amazing Race, Lost...) This season one of the castaways is a Christian radio talk show host, Leslie, and in the very first episode they are welcomed to China by some Bhuddist monks, and invited to participate in a ceremony that Jeff says is just a cultural thing. But it involves folding your hands and kneeling with your face to the floor...and Leslie can't do it. She starts crying and leaves the temple. When Jeff asks her about it, she says it felt like worship to her and she only kneels to Jesus Christ. Woo hoo! Go Leslie! Another castaway, Courtney, a waitress from New York, rolls her eyes and looks cynical.
[Time out--ooh ooh, the song I do like is on now: "I Don't Dance"--I gotta boogie with my baby a little--okay I'm back]
So last night, the third episode, Courtney is in a challenge that's difficult for her, and Leslie is sitting it out--Courtney gets her attention and mouths, "Pray for me!" What?! Where did this attitude change come from? Could it be from living with a genuine Christian showing Christ's love without compromising? Leslie ended up getting voted off, and Courtney's face showed true grief at her leaving. It was so awesome to see the results of a woman living surrendered to Jesus on national TV. Even if Courtney hasn't given her life to Christ yet, it's obvious she's way more ready to listen now than she was before she met Leslie. I want to have that effect on people.
2 Corinthians 2:14-16
14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.
15 For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;
16 to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life. And who is adequate for these things?

5 comments:

Angie said...

Know what? I spoke in chapel at my kid's school yesterday and that was my scripture text! Cool, huh? I talked about good smells and bad smells. I tried to tie it in to our behavior and how bad behavior leaves a bad "smell" but good behavior is pleasing to God and leaves a good "smell" behind. As Christians we are to be the fragrance of Jesus. Sounds like the Survivor girl was just that.

Did you know that there are some people in Mozambique who have satellite TV with Disney Channel and have already seen HSM2....but we don't know any of them. Oh wait, I do know one family, but not well enough to invite myself over. :-)

love you,
a

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Good post, Kecia. I'm usually a tv junkie but this season I'm just not into it for some *weird* reason. Probably because Lost and 24 don't start until January. sigh.

We don't have cable, but my sweet friend tivo'd HSM2 for me, then burned a dvd for us, and my kids watch it as often as I'll let them. I like it too! I LOVE the songs! Could never pick a favorite.

Have a great weekend...maybe it will feel like fall soon!

Mer

A Place For Ministry Wives/A Place For Me said...

I just recently read an arricle on Leslie. She seems to be an amazing woman of God. I am so sorry to hear that she got voted off! That is such a bummer. I read that she applied to be on the show 5 TIMES before they accepted her. I wish she could have stayed on longer. :-(

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Okay...just watched the video of your little Sharpay. (sp?) FUNNY! You might consider acting lessons.

smile.

S and J said...

Sections...last time I ate candy corn was when I was a young girl and I ate it in sections!
Emma says hi to Rebecca!
I'm sad Leslie got booted off...I'm boycotting the show now. I'm waiting for the next Amazing Race...that's my favorite.