Friday, May 23, 2008

Me, Squeamish?

So we got to my Mom's house at noon today, and one of her friends was here taking care of her. Since it was time for her eye drops, she showed me which ones when, and started putting them in Mom's eyes, when all of a sudden I was hot all over and sweating like I was going to be sick! I rushed to the bathroom and then got woozy. It was the weirdest thing. I'm not squeamish! I've been a teacher and a mom. I've cleaned up blood, poop, and various other body fluids without batting an eye. I've held my own unconscious child while listening to ambulance sirens coming for her. But for some reason this got to me; I wonder why.
I've done this 3 times before. Once was when I was pregnant and my mother-in-law got a nose-bleed. Again, it surprised me when I felt that way because I'd been around blood before. I blamed it on the pregnancy.
Then one time we were visiting my parents, and a neighbor's dog had been getting into their trash. So my dad decided to scare it away...with a shotgun. Let's just say he aimed a little high. Mike said he shot, the dog dropped, and Dad said, "I didn't mean to do that." They went to the neighbors and apologized, and they actually didn't care. But when they brought me their blood-stained clothes, it made me sick! I had to make Mike do the laundry. Strange.
And the third time is when I was allowed to help Margo in the delivery room with her oldest son, Nathanael. I had been through this twice myself already, but for some reason when they started giving her an epidural, and I saw that 9 foot long needle (well, that's how it looked) the room began to spin and I had to go sit down. What a night that was, huh Margo?!
I'm not sure what to blame today on. I was hungry, and had been in the car. I don't know. Maybe it was switching roles with my Mom, and seeing her in more pain than I was prepared for. Maybe tonight I'll be able to be her nurse with my usual mothering calm detachment. I hope so!

3 comments:

S and J said...

This same sort of thing happens to me occasionally now and it is so unexpected and bizarre! Maybe I'm getting old?!
Hang in there sweet friend!!!

Kelli Stuart said...

Yikes! I forgot Gran had her surgery while we were gone - thanks for the unintentional reminder!!!

Kelli Stuart said...

Oh yeah, and I followed your lead and had my blog added to the "Married to the Ministry" blogroll. I'm looking forward to checking out some of the blogs when I have two seconds to call my own.