Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pet News

Remember Grizabella?


Turns out she's a he! My brother Mark came down to bring us some bunk beds (yay, Mark!) and take my Mom home, and he saw her him laying on our door mat and said, "You know that cat's a boy, right?" We did some investigating, and lo and behold, we think he's right. So now we're calling her him Griz.

And remember Pepper?

Well, he got bigger. To quote a favorite children's book of mine, he grew and he grew and he grew. And as he grew, he got into trouble. More and more and more trouble. Chewing through air conditioner cord trouble. Eating brand new blackberry bush trouble. It got so bad we, um, called the pound and had them take him away. The sad thing is, no one really misses him. The only one who got upset was Rebecca, and she got REAL upset. She cried hysterically, which I did not expect at all. I do feel guilty, like an irresponsible pet owner. But one thing that makes me feel better is that 2 vets and the pound guy said he looks like a pit bull to them, and the pound guy said he probably has chow, too, and both of those are breeds you see on TV having attacked someone and their owners saying, "I don't understand it. He was always so sweet before." So maybe this is God's way of protecting us.
Either way, I'm saying no more pets!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny! Remember the black lab we had in Lewiston? The first week we had him he ate, and I mean ate, the cover off of our hottub. He also had a thing where he like to dig a hole straight down about 3 feet and then just sit there looking out like he was in a foxhole. He was fortunate...we had no children at the time and could be patient. He was also all lab...no doubt. Our boys keep asking for a pet. Just not going to happen quite yet.

Angie said...

I'm so glad you got the gender straight on "Griz". Have you ever thought about getting a fish?

Margo said...

I was just having the "we are never getting a pet" conversation tonight. You're story about your dog just confirmed it!! Maybe one day we'll get a fish or a frog or something super easy that will never poop on my carpet!!