Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fear is pretty powerful stuff...

Okay, so I went to the doctor this afternoon to have a couple of "suspicious" moles removed (why am I suddenly thinking of "Alias"?) and I totally wigged out! She gave me several shots, to deaden the area, which wasn't fun, but wasn't unusual, either. Then she tested the deadening, asking if I could feel this, or this, or this, which I did so she gave me more. Then she started doing her thing, and after a second or two she asked, "Do you feel any pain?" to which I faintly replied, "No, but I'm really hot..." The nurse (who's been putting off her own mole removal--I was no help) started fanning me with a magazine, and the doctor asked if I felt better, and I said, "Well, I'm not as hot but I'm still queasy." That's when they had me lay down. And the nurse gave me a piece of gum out of her pocket. And when it was all over they brought me a nice cold water bottle and a star burp (as Mikayla used to call them.) I was sweating so much my clothes got wet! It was so wierd! The only other times I've felt close to that was watching Margo get her epidural and when Mike and my dad came in the house after carrying the dog my dad accidentally shot (long story.) But this was crazy--I couldn't see or feel anything she was doing, so I don't know why I almost passed out! Just fear, I guess. I was smugly pleased when my doctor also said that I had "surgery" today so I need lots of sympathy and the kids to do all the work for the rest of the day. Sounds good to me!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I can SO relate! So glad you made it through and got a Star Burp. When I had my "surgery" last year I talked incessantly to the dr. just to keep my mind off of what he was doing! I did not care what he thought I was NOT going to think about what he was doing.