What a fantastic week! The biggest travel challenge we had was that the van Mike was driving had a
horrible air conditioner, so the students were really hot. But we rotated them in and out of the van I was driving, and that helped. My three girls sat side-by-side on the back bench and were so quiet and well-behaved that I decided to take college students on all our family vacations from now on!
 |
| See the buffalo we passed between Magnolia and Texarkana? |
 |
| Mike drove the hot van...notice the redneck air conditioner plugged into the lighter! |
 |
| Cool van! |
 |
| West Texas sunset |
We drove about 7 hours the first day, and spent the night in Childress, Texas, got up early the next day and had a worship service in our room, then drove on in to Glorieta. We ate a picnic lunch at the New Mexico welcome center, which was very nice! Registration at Glorieta took forever, but I got my girls signed up for day camp and preschool, and then we started seeing people we know, and the fun began!
 |
| Mike and Daniel getting lunch stuff out. |
 |
| There was a dinosaur bone at the welcome center we all had to look at. |
 |
| I loved the big blue sky! |
 |
| Waiting outside New Mexico Hall for Mike to be done with registration. |
 |
| We had supper at Dairy Queen that night, and got cake to celebrate Matt's birthday (the guy in green). |
The students went to a worship celebration that night, but Mike, Kylie (Henderson State's BCM associate director), and I drove in to Santa Fe to buy groceries for the week. It was crazy!! Sam's was closed because it was Sunday, we passed by Albertson's in favor of Walmart, then realized it wasn't a superstore, so went back to Albertson's, they were all crazy-busy, and we didn't get back until 10:00. My girls had been nervous about going to their classes that night, but they ended up loving it, all week long, and made lots of new friends. My days usually went like this: get up at 7, shower, get all the breakfast stuff out; take the girls to their classes then go to worship.
 |
| Addison Road led worship--I loved them. Mike Satterfield and David Platt were our speakers. They were great, too. |
After worship I usually went to the ministers' fellowship for a cold bottle of water and some goodies (cinnamon rolls, chips and salsa, quesadillas, shishkabobs) and to see who I could see, then back to our room where I cleaned up breakfast and had a personal quiet time until time to set up lunch. Unless I was driving Mike back and forth to Santa Fe, where he was having the van's a.c. looked at.
 |
| It was both worshipful and relaxing reading my Bible and praying on these rocks by our room. |
The students would all come over for lunch, and after they left I'd clean up again, then we had free time until time for me to cook supper. That's when I hung out with friends new and old, shopped the Lifeway store, and took naps. I wanted to hike and do other recreational activities, but I was always either too tired or too busy. Hopefully next year. A few students came over each night to help cook supper, and it went pretty smoothly considering the stove was about as big as a postage stamp. After supper the girls went back to their classes and the students had sessions or family groups, so I cleaned up and then went on to worship at 8. It was honestly so inspiring, and was a truly rejuvenating time.
 |
| Students praying together during the invitation |
One night the speaker called for students to give up, once and for all, what they've been holding back from God. He compared it to vomiting up what's making you sick, and he said they would need their leaders to "hold back their hair."So many students came forward that he asked for more leaders to come pray with them, and I got to pray with several--it was very moving. What was humbling about it was that the ones I prayed with had the same issues I did.
On Wednesday we all drove to Santa Fe after lunch to do some sight-seeing. Since I've seen the Plaza several times before, and thought my girls would get bored shopping for hours, I took them to the Rancho de los Golondrinas instead. It's a living history museum 15 miles from Santa Fe, where the Josefina American Girl books were written...we went to Josefina's house!! It was a hot day in the desert, but I loved it, and I think they did, too. In addition to the rancho, there were outbuildings and a schoolhouse.
 |
| Gate to the hacienda |
 |
| Carts from the caravan on the Camino Real |
 |
| I love the suspended cradle. |
 |
| Oh yeah, she's in trouble. |
 |
| This mound of crosses is where people on the rancho carrying someone to their burial would stop and place a rock and a cross to remember them, and to remember that we always need to rest. |
 |
| This tree was HUGE! |
 |
| The schoolhouse was pretty awesome. |
After an hour or so we joined the students in Santa Fe and bought a few souvenirs, then headed north to a little town called Chimayo that has my favorite Mexican restuarant in the world, located in another ranch from the past. There's also a little church there that has dirt that is supposed to have healing qualities, but it was locked up when we got there.
 |
| Native Americans selling jewelry--this is how I always picture Santa Fe. |
 |
| Sopapilla relleno--glory! |
 |
| Sanctuario de Chimayo--I love the ladder. |
Aside from not being able to sleep because of the noisy people staying above us, I'd say it was a perfect week. We left at 6:00 Friday morning (yawn) and I drove our van the w-h-o-l-e way back. It went pretty well other than taking
30 minutes to get through Texarkana because the interstate was closed. I was so tired by then I was shaking. It took all weekend for us to recover! Here are some more random pictures:
 |
| Rosie's comfy bed |
 |
| More of that gorgeous sky! |
 |
| My friend Beth! |
 |
| Jessica and her "big brother" (in her words) Matt |
 |
| and Mike |
 |
| Sunset on our last night--it was amazing. Pictures don't do it justice. |
Speaking of pictures, a lot of these were taken by our students. They are much better photographers than I am!
3 comments:
Excellent pictures! I can remember the first time I went to Glorieta with Mike and UI group and we ate at that same Dairy Queen our first night there. So many great and meaningful memories at Glorieta. David Platt has spoken the last few years we've taken students and I really like him. Glorieta is also where I was first introduced to Bruce and wouldn't you know that Glorieta is also where Bruce's parents first met. Thanks for sharing your stories. I loved it!
I love the fan in the van! Too funny. I, like Ann, have fond memories of Glorieta, although for different reasons than her. :-) I think the last time I went was 10 years ago this summer...it was right after I got back from China. Crazy how time flies. Maybe I'll get to go again one day!
I love Glorieta. It is such a beautiful place and holds such great moments for me of special times with God. (Now I'm a bit jealous. haha)
I hope your girls enjoyed the Day Camp. It is my son's favorite thing. He likes the extra freedom he has from being on the Glorieta campus.
I hadn't heard of that Mexican Restaurant before. I will definitely have to put it on my list for our next visit.
Post a Comment