Sunday, August 28, 2011

Another freshman journal entry

August 28, 1985
If you've been to OBU lately, you can see how different Walt's was from the current caf!

The Betas serenaded us and it was the most fun I've ever had in my entire life!!! They were so wild, and cute, and fun--some in their boxer shorts! They liked my Open House sign. I didn't get much sleep last night. English is gonna be fun, I like Mrs. McCommas, Lea Anne is in there, and we sit in a circle. Chemistry is gonna be hard, CG is in there, and lots of other guys. Old Testament Survey is gonna be lots of fun, it's a big class, about 40, Scott is in there. Aerobics is gonna be a blast, real easy grade, but hard work-outs. I have so much fun eating with Dina, Malinda, Larry, & Carla. Larry is cool. I bought a book this afternoon, and got some money, and we went to Wal Mart and bought popcorn, notebooks, and other stuff. Dina didn't go to church tonight. Joey did, we all went to Caddo Valley. It's a small church, but super-friendly, and very worshipful. I was depressed, though, and wanted to cry bad. I think it was a combination of exhaustion, homesickness, and wanting a boyfriend! But I gave it to God. Then Amanda called!!! I was so excited. It cheered me right up. Then I called Mom and Dad, and they missed me, and it was neat to talk to everyone. I'm going to bed now.

Kids, back in that day, we had one phone attached to the wall in the middle of the hall where friends and family could call and ask to speak to us, and there was a pay-phone (google it) down by the stairs.
In defense of my former boy-crazy self, I think it's worth mentioning that Larry and Carla, and Joey and Malinda, were married within a few years. So I was around couples a lot.
Amy, how'd you like those run-on sentences?

8 comments:

Angie said...

Such a great read on a Monday morning. Brought a smile to my face. Your pictures make me wish I had taken pictures of everything, every day. But of course I could have have afforded to get the film developed.

Kids, film was this cartridge you put into a camera. You only got 24 or 36 photos. After you took all the photos you took the film to Walmart to be developed. This cost money. And unless they had one hour developing, you had to wait a few days to get the film developed. Then you would invariably find that several of your photos weren't good because someone had their eyes closed or the lighting was bad. But too bad, you were stuck with the bad photo.

Kecia said...

Thank you, Angie, good point. Hence the bad picture at the beginning of this post!

Kelli Stuart said...

You were so hysterically boy crazy!! :D Wonder which one of your girls will inherit that? For some reason I'm picturing Rebecca...anyways, is it possible that Larry and Carla are Larry and Carla White?

Kecia said...

Kelli, that's exactly who they are! :) Sweet people. I have another story about them, too, from when they were in seminary and Mike and I were dating.

The Sullivan Four said...

I have had so much fun reading these posts and seeing those old pictures! I can't believe we actually thought we looked good with those '80's clothes and hairstyles. I think my thought patterns (aka checking out all the boys) were very similar to yours...I just didn't write them down to be read in the future! Thanks for sharing!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Betas in boxers! My fave!

And I loved Betty Jo McCommas! I remember her making us sit in a circle too. She was such a great instructor.

These posts are hilarious, Kecia. Hilarious.

Kelli Stuart said...

That whole family is the sweetest! They are members at our church. Their girls are going to Passion with us in January and to Thailand next summer. Well...Hailey is a maybe.

Jackie said...

I would make fun of you for being boy crazy but I read through one of my journal entries recently...but I feel that those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.