Friday, October 7, 2011

I'm baa-aack!

I didn't plan to ignore this blog for so long, but a) my computer cord broke, so I could only charge up when Mike brought his cord home, and sometimes he forgot; and 2) it seems like every night when I would turn on the computer I would read a few things on facebook and then the letters would all start to swim in front of my eyes and my brain would say, "Go to bed!" and I did.
But we've been staying busy around here, with school and other stuff. The fair came and went--I didn't enter anything this year, but Jessica won first place with her cake, Mikayla won second place with her cookies, and Rebecca won second place with her painting. I got them arm bands for the rides one night, and one night "Jessica" (and Mike and I) worked the booth selling water for the youth group at church, so Mikayla bought another arm band and Jessica and Rebecca were given some freebies by generous passers-by. Another perk to living in a small town is that I let them run around without me and didn't worry (too much).
BCM is going great--Mike showed a movie called "Beware of Christians," with the makers of the film there for a q & a time, and I think about 170 students showed up! Last night about a dozen of the guys came over for hamburgers, and when they finished their game of croquet, they played all over our girls swing set/jungle gym. It made me laugh.
I skipped BCM this past Tuesday night, because the ladies' ministry at my church had a soup supper with a panel of moms giving parenting/marriage advice. It was really good--like a pep talk for me. Here are the things I jotted down:
  • Slow down.
  • Pray with and for them, specifically.
  • Create memories.
  • Partner with God--turn them over to Him.
  • Be consistent in your own Christianity.
  • Teach them that privilege comes with responsibility.
  • Pray about everything with them, out loud.
  • When they fight, make them hug and kiss each other. They'll never want to do that again!
  • Remind them to "do everything without grumbling and complaining."
  • Make sure they know you want them to be best friends.
  • Teach them each others' love languages and help love them on purpose.
  • Marriage: have fun together!
  • God's will is not one small dot you have to somehow find, like a needle in a haystack. It has wide parameters, and if you seek Him, He will make Himself known.
  • Pray 1 Peter 3:1 daily.
Last weekend Rebecca had 2 birthday parties and a sleepover, but this weekend, it's MY TURN! I am leaving any minute now with Angie to go to a sleepover/reunion with 5 friends who all lived on Flippen First Floor back in 19 hundred and 85. Then tomorrow we'll go to OBU's homecoming, and Tiger Tunes that night--I'm very excited!!!!
Now here are some just-for-fun pictures:


Team Spirit night at AWANA...I let her wear it since the Hogs BEAT THEM last week!!
 And finally...yes, it was time to see Mike with hair again! With help from...
Jessica

Mikayla

Rebecca

Kecia
Personally, I like mine the best. How about you?

4 comments:

Jackie said...

It's good to have you back Kecia! You have inspired me to complete my most recent book review and to think of an original post. It's been far too long...

That's a great list of things you have there! I started going to a thing at our church twice a month called 'Kid's play, Mom's pray'. The first one was really great and there were only a few of us, which while it would be nice if there were more people there, I was happy to have time to get to know some people in a smaller group setting. My point (yes, sometimes I have one) is that a few of the things on your list came up in our discussion too! Maybe God really is trying to teach me something ;)

The girls are getting so big! I love that you still have your plaid couch! And I love seeing Mike with long, silky, shiny hair!

Unknown said...

I'm also glad to see you are back. Your blogs are just a neat glimpse into a fun (?) - sounds like it anyway - and fruitful life for the Lord. I don't have the energy that you do for sure...

Shellie Paparazzo said...

That's kinda creepy. Please don't do that again. I think I like Mike without hair. I was already stressed. Seriously, don't do that to me. :)

Kecia said...

I know, Shellie, isn't it disturbing!? It makes me laugh!