I don't.
I'm beginning to think my perfectionism is creeping into my family life. (Remember my "failed" attempts at a family photo?) When we were decorating our "fancy tree," before I turned on my camera I told everyone in the family, quite sternly, that I didn't want any crudeness or meanness or extreme silliness on this video; just decorate the tree sweetly and remember you'll be recorded for all eternity. So twice I tried to video them and someone said, "Dangit!" or picked their nose or something else less than perfect, and I deleted the videos and tried again, getting more frustrated each time. On my third and final attempt, not only does my center child make a comment about tooting, my first-born puts her bahooky right in front of the camera and then jiggles my arm as I'm filming...and you can hear the frustration in my voice. Then I watched it, and finally the humor hit. As soon as I gave up on my idealistic fantasy of the living Hallmark movie (complete with background music), I realized what a mistake I'd made deleting the other 2, and how funny it all was. Everyone was having fun but me! I'm so thankful my Father is more forgiving and patient with me than I am with my kids! [I would post the video, but a)it's too long and b)it's too embarrassing. Baby steps.]
I do have some Hallmark moments in my Christmas season...sitting in my recliner by a toasty fire, stockings hung, gazing at my favorite ornaments, "treasuring in my heart" the memories they bring back. When we're decorating the tree I always make sure I can see my favorites from my chair. Here are a few that I love:
Maw, my Mom's mother, glued this ornament to the top of my Christmas present one year. She always put cute things on her presents...when I was a baby, she made our faces out of buttons and made gift tags out of those. She was so clever. Even as a child I remember staring at it, and seeing the lights shine through it. (Meredith--that is a Razorback leg in the background! Woo Pig, Sooie!)
Maw Maw, (yes, we're Southern)my Dad's mother, gave me this star with an angel inside. I always try to hang it near my wooden nativity.
When we lived in Virginia, our friends were so close they were more like family. We spent holidays together, went to church together, laughed and cried together. Mrs. Barrett, one of those special friends, made ceramic ornaments for each of us (and eggs at Easter!). Here's my cat, from 1972!
Also in 1972, my family bought a wooden ornament kit. "I" painted this elf (with quite a bit of help from my Mom!).
And last (for today) and least, I mean not least, this little guy. I always thought of him as a little marshmallow snowman...but Mike calls it an alien and tries to hide it at the back of the tree. My girls stood up for me this year and moved it right in front of his "Deep in the Heart of Texas" ornament.
That'll get us started for today...but there's more to come! (How about you...do you have any favorite ornaments to share?)
4 comments:
I'm proud of you for finding the humor! I am looking forward to seeing the video :)
1972...how could you have painted an ornamanet? Isn't that the year you were born???? :-)
I love the ornaments.
I feel like I've had a visit in your living room seeing your tree and ornaments.
Born in 1972...umm, yeah, sure, of course I was, yeah...
Kecia...you're so funny about the video. I gave up on being perfect so long ago. I don't think we've had a family dinner in the last 5 years without at least one of my children burping or f*rting (their dad lets them say fart and they think that is the most hilarious thing in the world). So, yeah, welcome to my life!
LOVE the ornaments, and guess what? My family painted ornaments like that too. I didn't end up with any of them, so I'd have to see them all to remember what else came in the kit, but the elf sure did bring back some memories! And so glad you have a Razorback on your tree. All Arkansans should be so blessed!
Post a Comment