Saturday, April 19, 2008

Weekend fun

Last night I went to Ouachita, my alma mater, with my 2 oldest daughters and 2 friends and their daughters, to see the play "Once Upon a Mattress" (based on "The Princess and the Pea). It was an hour and a half drive, but we talked and talked, and ate at the Cracker Barrel, and the play was great and funny. We had such a good time. They went to OBU also, but after I graduated. We saw one professor we'd all had for speech, and sat there trying to remember others. At intermission I saw the old ladies in front of us start laughing when all 3 of us kept saying, "Doug something...he taught history-no, government...Doug, Doug, what was it?" And then we all remembered and blurted it out. It was fun.

This afternoon Magnolia had a Family Fun Day on the Methodist church parking lot. There were day cares, preschools, dance & karate teachers, fire & police, the library, all with little areas set up kind of like learning centers. Blocks, sand and water, books, art, etc. It was free, and low-key, good wholesome fun. We came away with balloons, "tatoos", face paint, stickers, sunburn, and smiles.

Tonight we had our family Passover Seder. We started this tradition several years ago after watching a presentation by "Jews for Jesus." We have a Christian Hagaddah, which is sort of like an order of service telling you what to say when. We've bought special goblets we use only at Passover, and we have afikomen bags, and we use silver and china and make it special. When Jessica saw me get out the matzoh, she was so excited, and started telling Rebecca what all to expect. Mikayla groaned and said, "Oh no, we have to eat that horseradish stuff!" When it was all ready we all put on dresses (okay not all, Mike put on khakis), and it turned out really nice. We see it as a time to look back to the Israelites escape from slavery to the Egyptians, Jesus' last supper with the disciples, and our escape from slavery to sin, and to look ahead to the wedding feast in the new Jerusalem. It took a long time, but I knew it was all worth it when Rebecca chomped on a piece of matzoh and said, "This is a good night." A good night indeed.
Next year in the new Jerusalem!

2 comments:

Etta said...

We have often talked about doing that as well, but we never have. It's a little late now, but maybe next year!!

So jealous you got to visit our alma mater!!!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Sounds like you've had a fun weekend! The play sounds wonderful, but you've gotta tell me who the Doug guy is...it's bugging me that I can't figure it out!

Hey...is your little town gearing up for the Blossom Festival? I think it's usually the first weekend in May. It was one of my favorite things about Magnolia, and it was a very fun day!

We've done a seder meal in the past, and I loved it. It's super confusing for me though when Passover and Easter don't fall at the same time! Such a good tradition and a highly sensory way to teach your children!

Enjoy your Sunday. I hope it's as much fun as your Friday and Saturday.

Oh, and talking about Cracker Barrel brought back so many memories for me of Arkadelphia. I loved that place!!