So...
there's an election coming up. A pretty important one. And with our economy in the mess it is, it's tempting to look at numbers and vote for whoever would get ME the most money. But I also happen to be reading through the minor prophets right now, and it's amazing how they relate to current events. Hosea was all about God's judgment due to idolatry; Amos was judgment because of the complacency of the wealthy and how they oppress the poor; and Joel called people to repent in order to avoid this locust plague that would destroy the economy. Listen to this, "That is why the Lord says, "Turn to me now, while there is time! Give me your hearts. Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning. Don't tear your clothing in your grief; instead, tear your hearts." Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful. He is not easily angered. He is filled with kindness and is eager not to punish you. Who knows? Perhaps even yet he will give you a reprieve,sending you a blessing instead of this terrible curse. Perhaps he will give you so much that you will be able to offer grain and wine to the Lord your God as before!" (Joel 2:12-14) That's what we should be doing to help our economy, crime rate, addiction rate, divorce rate, etc. For me, as always, a main issue of this election is how the candidates stand on abortion. I remember back in '92, talking to a friend from Arkansas who was voting for Clinton because he would somehow bring money to Little Rock. It would be good for the state. When I said I couldn't vote for anyone who wasn't pro-life, he said that was a non-issue because he wouldn't even make any decisions about abortion, and probably wouldn't even appoint any Supreme Court judges. Sigh.
You know how I love books about World War II, especially those by the Thoene's, and have always been fascinated with Jewish life and history. I recently read a letter on their website, written by a German holocaust survivor whose father was a pastor imprisoned for helping his Jewish friends. I don't like sensationalism or exaggeration, and I REALLY don't like urban legends that are blatantly false getting spread around by email. (FYI, Obama is Methodist, not Muslim; he has never refused to take an oath on the Bible; and he does put his right hand over his heart to say the pledge of allegiance.) But this letter and the related videos are very sobering.
The good news is that one day, King Jesus will return and set all things right. And those verses in Joel went on to say, "Then after I have poured out my rains again, I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophecy. Your old men will dream dreams. Your young men will see visions. In those days, I will pour out my Spirit even on servants, men and women alike."
(Joel 2:28-29)
2 comments:
how ironic - our pastor preached a message on that yesterday. who can even begin to think about his views on how to fix the economy when he has stated one of his first acts as president will be to make partial-birth abortion legal again?
hmmmm...let's see...a slightly fuller wallet (which I even doubt will happen)...or know prescious babies are having their brains sucked out of their heads when they're half out of the birth canal...no contest.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Kecia.
My heart absolutely breaks over this issue - time and time again we choose to listen to Satan's lies and go our own way.
We believe that God will not supply ALL of our needs.
We believe that there is no forgiveness for our sins and no acceptance for these children.
We ignore the example of living generously and giving generously of our time and money and love and respect to those families (broken or otherwise) who find themselves in a situation where they feel abortion is their only option.
We believe that our bodies do not need to be treasured because they are ours to do with as we wish (in every sense!)
We believe that there is no way to change it.
We believe that God is powerless to change us.
We believe that God is unwilling to change us.
I hope instead that we all choose to believe Joel's words. Maybe that should be the new pro-choice movement.
Post a Comment