and when we were inside they kept oohing and aahing about the marble stairs and columns and domes and chandeliers and stained glass, and saying it was like a palace.
On our way up the big marble steps to register, Jessica asked, "Where are the desserts?" We had made desserts for 2 representatives, and then left them in the van!!! Doh. But when I signed in they said not to worry about it, so we'll get to eat the cookie bars ourselves. We saw one home school family we knew as soon as we got there, but that's not who I was talking about in the title. At registration the lady behind the table and I both looked at each other and said, "I know you..." and then figured out her husband used to be the BCM director at UAPB, which was so much fun, but that's not it either. I'll give you a hint. They live in Northwest Arkansas and home school, and have 18 children. You can read about them here. Yep, they were there! I had joked about wondering if we'd see them, and when I did I wanted to take a picture, but we introduced ourselves instead, and Mrs. was very gracious and friendly. And then I didn't want to look like a groupie, so we wandered off again. After that I found a senator we used to go to church with, and said hello, and we walked around a bit until our tour of the Capitol Building. It's a beautiful building, which was started in 1899 and finished in 1915. I was taking this picture of the girls
when the head dude of the Family Council, whom I admire a great deal, offered to take a picture of all of us. See?
Then we were peeking at the Senate chamber and the sergeant at arms let us in and took our picture there!
I was amazed at the feeling of respect you automatically feel in there. Made me look forward to taking the girls to D.C. some day. It was a good day. The girls got bored and tired and hungry before the tour was over, so we snuck away and came on home, but it was still a good day.
3 comments:
Thanks for posting a report! I'm hoping we can go next year. Very neat about the pictures, and the people you saw...do I know that senator? ;-)
I was actually just thinking the other day about your mom's birthday being this week...I always remember because my aunt's is this week, too. I meant to tell you to tell her Happy Birthday from me, but I forgot...please tell her a bit late! :)
Why, yes you do! He was in a hurry, so we basically just said hi. I was wondering while we were waiting for him if I should call him Senator Baker or just Gilbert...
So cool! I loved watching the shows about the Duggars when we were in the states last year.
I love Mikayla's new "do" and I think I can see the layers in Jessica's hair!
Post a Comment