Sunday, March 1, 2009

Did anyone else get to go to "Focus on Marriage" yesterday?

Thanks to the generosity of our church, Mike and I were able to attend the "Focus on Marriage" simulcast at our church yesterday. It was even worth getting up early! We got to visit with people we knew and people we met, had time away from the girls, and sub sandwiches for lunch. Here are the main thoughts I got out of it:
Gary Thomas: Marriage was designed by God to make us holy, not happy. Happy is a bonus.
Beth Moore: (She was so funny.) Don't worry about "great"--good is good. She also used my favorite Tony Evans quote, "Submission is learning to duck so God can hit your husband."
Del Tackett: What God has made, including marriage, reveals His character, who He is, His divine attributes, His nature. (He teaches the Truth Project Mike and I are going through with some students right now, and I'm loving it.)
Gary Smalley: If I love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, I will see myself as helpless, and then the kingdom of God will come to me and God's love will flow in me. My heart needs to be about God, God, God, not me, me, me. Stop trying to fix Mike and get my own heart right.
John Trent: "2 degree difference"--Make small, 2 degree changes to apply these things to my life.
Did any of you get to see it? What stood out to you?

2 comments:

Bits-n-Pieces said...

ooh, I bet that WAS good!
I love Beth Moore and Gary Smalley!!
I'm so glad you got to go!
~Robin (Vermeer)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE BETH MOORE!!! She always cracks me up and is soooo real!