There is a young woman who works at our church's day care who had a five-month-old baby and found out she was pregnant. She went to our county health unit, and they said she was not pregnant, and that she needed a D & C. She decided to get an ultrasound at our local pregnancy crisis center first, and when she did, they discovered she was pregnant, with twins! Their lives were saved that day.
A little while later, she discovered that one twin was getting all the nutrients and the other was not growing, and was told that she would eventually need a surgery that would either save them both or kill them both. But then...lo and behold...the small twin started growing and has now almost caught up and she is, I think, close to 30 weeks now, and the doctors are amazed! One of them said, "This is either a miracle or an answered prayer!" Hence the title. :)
One of our college students lost his mother this week. She had severe diabetes, with lots of complications, and had gone in for a procedure on her eye when the local anesthesia somehow sent her into a coma. We thought she was pulling out of it, and were thanking God for healing her, and then suddenly she had no brain activity. I started praying for a miracle, that God would breathe the breath of life in her, that the Holy Spirit would re-electrify her brain, and she would be healed. When I told Mike that, he said, "Yeah, but healed to what? If He's going to heal her, we should ask for total and complete healing, of all her diabetes and all its complications." So when we found out she had passed away, he said she is completely healed now. And I know that's true. But he's just a kid. A kid without a mother. And that just breaks my heart.
2 weeks ago my big brother's eye started clouding over, and when he told his eye dr about it, he told him to meet him at the ER. He did, and was there all afternoon (without telling my mom, who lives in the same town, and oooooo, was he in trou-ble!). They did all sorts of tests and said he had fluid on his brain, and that he needed to see a neuro-opthamologist. He did, and that dr said he thought it was plaque from his arteries affecting his retina. He also saw his regular dr, who said he saw a mass on the MRI of his brain and he needed to see a neuro-surgeon. Then more tests came back from the neuro-op dude, to the regular dr, and these said he has a cyst pressing on his cerebellum. So the good news is, my brother has a brain! The bad news is, he has a cyst on it. The good news is, it's not a tumor!
On Tuesday afternoons Jessica and Mikayla have been taking sewing lessons at our county extension office with some other home-schooled girls. This week when I took them I saw a parking spot on the street right in front of the door, so I turned the corner reeeal close, so I could just pull right in. A little too close. A little too close to the storm drain on the corner with a sharp metal piece sticking out which cut a gash in my tire so deep we could hear the air hsssssssing out from inside the van. Mike, of course, was out of town. Thankfully, another mom who was dropping off her daughter "just happened" to have her dad with her, who "just happened" to be a university professor who used to be a mechanic. He helped me put on my spare tire, and I got a hold of Mike and he told me where to go to buy a new tire. They "just happened" to have one left for our van, and they got it on right then! I even had time to renew my driver's licence (which expired in January and I didn't realize it until last weekend!) before sewing lessons were over, and I picked the girls up and took Jessica to a dr appointment where we discovered the strange growth on her foot was just a wart which was easily frozen off! And I didn't even cry one time. :)
I have much to be thankful for.
5 comments:
You didn't cry??? Oh, my goodness! I would have had a fit!
That's a lot of stuff you've had going on, girl. I'll say a prayer for your brother...and for that kid who lost his mom (breaks my heart too)...and for the mom of twins...and I'm rejoicing with you that the tire/doctor stuff was easy! Yay!
Isn't the Lord good to us, even when things don't go the way we hoped? I was just talking with my mom today about how we need to trust God when times are good as well as when times are good. I'm so glad that God knows better than I do, even when I think I know how things should turn out!
Your post is making me cry. It's funny how you can go along through a time in your life where you've prayed and prayed your heart out, and you feel like God just isn't listening, and then all of a sudden you start to see glimpses of prayers being answered...only in a way you don't expect...but it turns out that it's really better that way. Am I making any sense here because I'm just babbling away...Anyways, I read John Piper's book, "Sweet & Bitter Providence" not too long ago, and he uses Naomi's story to remind us that "God is at work in the worst of times, even when we don't see it." I've been clinging to that simple little phrase so much since then. Just gotta have faith that He's constantly working and moving to bring things into alignment with His plan.
Anyways, your post on thankfulness makes ME thankful because your forgetting to renew your driver's license reminded me that mine is expiring Wednesday :)
Thanks for your comments-
Kelli-it can be so hard to wait for God to work His plan--but we know His plans are good! Love you-
And Meredith, their names are Tonya (I don't even actually know her, I've just been praying for her and watching God work!) and Carter. I know they both appreciate your prayers!
Post a Comment