Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A day late and a dollar short!


Yesterday was the due date for the 2nd OBU BlogAbout topic, "Your Favorite OBU faculty/staff member." I felt like Amy over at Snoodlings, that's like trying to choose a favorite child!
The first person to come to mind was Pam Arrington, my Early Childhood Education professor. I adored Pam, and wanted to emulate her in so many ways. In teaching, that included reading to kids no matter how old they got (even college-aged!), more positive reinforcement than negative, and passing out M & Ms on test days. But I also wanted to dress like her, and once we'd been to her house for pancakes and LOTS AND LOTS of bacon, I wanted to decorate my house like her...which means very seasonally. I now have boxes of decorations I rotate through.
Then I thought of Sharon Cosh, our BSU director's wife. I wanted to be just like her, too--and I married a campus minister! She's from South Africa, and has the neatest accent...that part I gave up on. They have 5 daughters...I stopped at 3, thank you very much. :) But what I admired most about Sharon was that even when her girls were small, she had gobs of us girls over to their house for Bible study--possible the first workbook-style Bible study I completed--and I loved it. We used How Can I Be Blessed? by Kay Arthur. (I always say "blessed" in my best South African accent.) I learned so much. I remember going back to Ouachita to visit a few years after graduation and going upstairs to the BSU office for old times sake, even though it was summer time, and there was Sharon, working on a bulletin board, I think. She looked up and said, "Kecia!" and I was surprised and touched she remembered me. Now that I am a campus minister's wife, I realize how special each student really is, and see how silly that was. She and her husband are still at OBU, and we were able to visit for a while one summer when I was a counselor at a camp, and she's just as encouraging as ever.
Thinking of her reminded me of Uncle Bud! Bud Fray, former missionary in southern Africa and religion professor. I never had him for a class, and he wasn't my academic advisor, but he's who I went to whenever I got my heart broken needed to talk. He would comfort me, encourage me with life stories and scripture, hug me, and make me laugh. I ADORE him! He ended up going to teach at Southwestern while I was teaching school in Fort Worth, and Mike did have him for a class. When we started dating, Uncle Bud told him I was a "righteous fox." See why I love that man?
So you see my dilemma of choosing one to write about? I checked out Angie's blog, to see who she picked, and when I saw that she listed even more than I did :) and that none of them were the same, I decided to name all 3 of mine, too.
(Now if you want to know about my worst professor, that's another story. It starts out with "One time, when I was little...")

2 comments:

Angie said...

I thought it was "One time when I was four......." That particular teacher was the worst! But we LAUGHED a ton in that class.

whimzie said...

Now I'm curious about the worst professor!

Didn't know Pam Arrington, but I LOVE Sharon and Bud Fray! I think I've settled on my top 1 or 3 or 5 and then I read someone else's OBU story and I find 2 more I need to add to my favorites' list!

Do you know how Bud Fray is these days?