"for we walk by faith, not by sight--" (2 Cor. 5:7) from Atlanta to Chicago to Pensacola to Dale City (Virginia) to San Diego to Conway to Ouachita to Fort Worth to Lewiston to Moscow (Idaho) to Conway to Magnolia...
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
OBU BSU
This week's topic for the OBU BlogAbout celebrating Ouachita's 125 years of existence is: favorite Student Life experience (club/organization).
I didn't even have to think about this one--BSU!!! Back in the day, what we here in South Arkansas call BCM, or Baptist Collegiate Ministry, was called BSU, or Baptist Student Union. (Even then it was a pretty lame name--I mean, we never went on strike or anything.) My first involvement was my freshman year, in what they called the "New Student Council." It was basically a freshmen leadership group, and I mostly joined because I had a crush on the guy leading it. (Big surprise there)
But that spring, the spring of 1986, Ouachita had a "Global Focus Week," a week totally devoted to international missions. We had an international food fair, and had lots of missionaries come and speak, and just got to get to know them. I had also become sister-friends with Angie, who was an MK, and so many things were opening my eyes to the world of being passionately devoted to Christ. I spent some time with Barbara Schleiff, and made a commitment to having a daily quiet time. (How had I spent my whole life in the church, been a Christian since I was 8, and missed the whole "spend time every day in prayer and God's Word" thing??) And after that week, Aunt Barbara held me accountable, and to this day I believe if I ran up to visit her in Arkadoo she would ask me about it. :) Changed my life.
Several of my friends felt called to missions at this time, and I felt something, but I just didn't know what. I never felt called to foreign missions, and being a girl and a Baptist, I was hesitant to say I felt called to ministry. But I made a commitment to whatever. Whatever God placed in my path, in my life, I would do it. I started by getting more involved with BSU, eventually getting on their....what did we call it? It's late, and I just got home from our BCM weekly meeting, and all I can think of is leadership team. Something council. Anyway, when I found out the next spring break mission trip was to Ecuador, I signed up--another life-changing experience! The summer after that I suffered for Jesus as a summer missionary in Vail, Colorado. (Rich people need Jesus, too.) And I haven't missed many mission trip opportunities from that day to this. When I moved to Fort Worth to teach school, one of the reasons I chose FW was there was a seminary there, in case I ever felt like God wanted me to go that route. But the school where I taught was such a HUGE mission field, I never took a class. And then I met the man of my dreams, and one date he asked me if I would ever consider living in Idaho, and I said, "Well, I wouldn't go there alone!" But knowing he wanted to serve the Lord anywhere, anyhow was one of the things that made me fall in love with him.
So ultimately, the BSU shaped the course of my whole life. When I think of where I might be if I hadn't gotten involved--wow. Plus, I had so much fun! Retreats and conferences and mission trips, and the best friends. Seriously, life-long, forever and ever, laugh and cry, from the heart friends.
Thank You God, for BSU.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Kecia I feel the same way! Thank God for campus ministry indeed. I thank God often for you and Mike and the impact you made on me. God taught me so much through you two!
Amen, sister-friend! I'm so thankful for you and what you and Mike are doing and have done in the lives of so many students.
Post a Comment