Last Friday Mike said I could drop the kids off at his office and do my weekly grocery shopping alone. Do I have the greatest husband, with the greatest job? Of course I do. So we scrambled as usual, finding shoes and my list and coupons, jumped in the van, turned the key...nothin'. Not even a click, or a strain. Just the silence of a completely dead battery, due to a door being left ajar for at least 24 hours. Since this was not a first-time experience for me, I got the battery charger out and hooked it up. When the little meter thingy pointed to "full", I turned the key again. It clicked this time! Progress. This had happened 3 or 4 times, when I heard a van door open. I glared at my precious 8 year old and growled, "What?!" She slunk back in. I did actually feel bad this time, so I opened the door and apologized and asked her what she wanted. She said, "I've been praying for the van to start but it hasn't yet." Oh. What a good idea. I'd been putting my faith in a battery charger instead of the Creator of the Universe. So this time I prayed, then got in the driver's seat, asked Mikayla to pray for us all, which she very succinctly did, turned the key and...vrooom! Started right up.
For a long time now I've had a goal/desire to stay in a constant conversation with God. And to voice those prayers all day long, with and in front of my kids. My aide at the preschool where I taught last year was so good at this. Someone would skin their knee, and Mrs. Stephanie would immediately ask Jesus to make it better. Another would be frustrated with a puzzle and she would ask the Lord to help him find the right piece. I want to be like that, both to set an example for my kids and to stay aware and in touch with God's presence throughout the day. I don't know why it's so difficult for me. I don't know if it's busy-ness or self-reliance or what. But since I'm not setting the example for them, I'm thankful they are setting the example for me! Thank you, Jesus. :)
2 comments:
Great great story about your van and prayer....we have done some major praying over our van so I can relate! :o)
I echo your desire to be in constant communication with God...thanks for putting your thoughts into words to encourage all who may read.
Oh, and I read the book Two From Galilee!!! Girl, I could hardly put it down!!! (Thanks for sending it....I'll send it back soon.) I hurt my knee about 3 weeks ago and had to 'rest' and it gave me the perfect opportunity to sit and read to my heart's content and LOVE that book! Makes me want to read the Three From Galilee too...have you read that one?
That's a great story Kecia. I had a similar experience with Matt and Jeff when they lived together at the Attic. Matt's computer pretty much crashed and it was taking them forever to fix. They had been at it for about an hour and a half. It looked like Matt was going to lose EVERYTHING. I kept hearing them getting more and more frustrated so I sat down on the couch and asked for God to start the computer again. They decided to try something they had tried a couple of times before - just for good measure. What do you know that thing started right up. No missing files, homework assignments or sleep. They were so happy with themselves but I just smiled and showed myself out the front door. :)
Post a Comment