Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I remember...

Well, if you know me, you already know I love OBU. My years there were some of the silliest happiest of my life! Reading my journal entries from that time may make me cringe, but they also almost always make me smile.
Trying to pick one favorite memory, as the OBU BlogAbout powers-that-be requested for today, is impossible for me. However, the years between then and now have blurred my many memories into one happy haze in which a "typical" day could have looked like this:

7:30            Breakfast at Walt's--Cap'n Crunch with Angie and Charlie and Dan P. If it happens to be pledge week, laugh at the boys who have to moo as they get their milk.

8:00-noon   Pick Cap'n Crunch out of teeth during first class. Afterwards, walk to the next class in the beautiful sunshine (or gray Arkadrizzle), saying "hi" to everyone (and hugging quite a few).

Noon         Go to Noonday, of course! Enjoy a spectacular solo by a future popular Christian performer/worship leader, then listen as the speaker says "When so-and-so first asked me to speak, I didn't know what to talk about..."

12:15         Lunch at Walt's--hot ham and cheese wraps! Laugh a lot.

Afternoon  Go to class. Check mail--yay! Letters from Mom and Dad and Amanda! Sit at the top of the stairs with Dina and Jennifer talking to guys who go by. Go to intramural football practice, or to watch soccer practice, or to work on a homecoming float, or to Wal Mart.

5:00            Supper at Walt's-turkey tetrazzini! Or maybe Chinese food night--the chopsticks were always fun. Balance a spoon on my nose or freeze a glass to my tray or make salt and pepper jokes (a salt with a deadly weapon! Season's Greetings!). If by chance napkins or food items begin to be thrown, joining in is optional.

6:00             Sit in the O talking as long as people are still coming out of Walt's. Then go back to the dorm to "study" with friends by making up songs or having game shows. Sit on the beds or on the floor in the hall with back against the wall.

Now's when it gets tricky. What would be the perfect ending to this day? A date? Maybe to Hot Springs? I did have a few of those in my 4 years there. But looking back, the other evening options sound so much more fun--a serenade by one of the men's social clubs? A function, where I dance until curfew? A run-through? Hey, it's my imaginary memory, so I'll make it all of the above, one after the other. All of which I write about in my journal before falling asleep, to share in my blog decades later. Good night!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Sounds like a lovely day to me! Who knew we were making such awesome memories.

Anonymous said...

oh Kecia, you captured it perfectly...my eyes swellingmupnwith tears...refusing to believe it's been 20+ years since we lived those days. I oly we could've madetem last longer!
~Robin Vermeer Bobo

whimzie said...

This was great! I felt like I was there living it all over again. Sigh. Good times.

The Sullivan Four said...

Great memories! I always loved turkey tetrazzini day too...lol!